WebQuest For 5th Grade
Congratulations! After a grueling interview process, you have been selected by the Canadian Department of Tourism to develop an ad campaign for a province of Canada. You will be developing an ad campaign that includes a brochure, print ad and a commercial. If your ad campaign is approved, you will be promoted to a new position as the Commissioner of Canadian Tourism! You will be eligible to win a dream home in the Canadian Province of your choice!
As a member of the Canadian Advertisement Team, you will be working with a group of 2 – 3 students. Each group member will be responsible for specific tasks that will help the group achieve its final product. As a group, you will discuss the responsibilities of each group member and submit a proposal to your teacher. Your proposal will list each group member and what they will do to contribute to the final product.
The following are some questions/topics you must address in your project and presentation:
• Describe the geography of your province. What land features make your province unique? How does the geography of your province impact the culture and everyday lives of its inhabitants?
• What is the climate of your province? How does the climate impact residents as well as tourists to the area? Does the climate lend itself to any special sports or activities for visitors to participate in during their visit?
• What festivals and cultural attractions are unique to your province? Why should tourist visit your province? Why is your province special? What unique historical sights and tourist attractions can be enjoyed in your province?
• Describe the economy in your province. What types of businesses are most profitable in that area? Why are certain businesses particularly profitable or not profitable?
You will be working with a team of colleagues to prepare and present you ad campaign to the class. As a team you will be responsible for preparing a variety of materials for review by the Department of Tourism.
These materials will include:
1. A brochure on your Canadian Province. Your brochure will be created using Microsoft Publisher. Click here for a sample brochure template.
2. A poster size advertisement of your province. This poster must include a combination of hand drawn pictures, computer graphics and images.
3. 8 – 10 research cards that are organized by subtopic. These cards should include research that is pertinent to your province and that will be included in your brochure and commercial.
4. 5-10 slide commercial that ‘sells’ your province to the class. The commercial will be created using PowerPoint. In this commercial, you will highlight particular areas of your province for the audience. This commercial should include the following topics:
d. Places of Interest/Landmarks
e. Tourist Attractions
5. A week long itinerary of places to see/visit in your province. This itinerary will give the traveler a day by day travel guide of sites and attractions to see in your province. You should organize your itinerary so that the traveler can see all the attractions on a particular day within an area of your province. Your itinerary will be created using Microsoft Word.
1. Tames, Richard. Journey through Canada. New Jersey: Troll
Associates, 1991. (To be supplied in class.)
2. One nonfiction book on your province
that you may select
from either the Seaman Library or the Jericho Public Library.
Kidskonnect: Canada - General Canadian information on many topics
Government of Canada - Canadian Government Site
Yahooligans - Around the World - Canada General Canadian Information – links to many related topics
The Atlas of Canada - Canadian maps and factual information)
Canada For Kids - Canadian Information – links to a variety of topics
Blank Maps of Canada - Blank outline maps of the Canadian Provinces
Wikipedia - Free online encyclopedia – Detailed Canadian Information
Canada's Provinces & Capitals - Fun interactive quizzes on Canada & links to helpful sites
Your project will be evaluated using a scoring rubric. This rubric will award points for all parts of the project. Additionally, groups can earn additional points by completing extra credit. All extra credit ideas must be approved by the classroom teacher before a group can work on them. Extra credit can only be done, once the group has completed all the required parts of the project.
Click here to view the scoring rubric.
Congratulations!!! You have successfully completed your Canadian Web Quest! Your ad campaign will be evaluated based on the rubric. If your ad campaign is approved, you will receive a promotion! Your new position will be Commissioner of Canadian Tourism! As the Commissioner, you will be able to travel freely throughout Canada and enjoy all this great country has to offer. Additionally, you will be eligible to win a dream home in the Canadian Province of your choice!
The Canadian Department of Tourism thanks you for all of your hard work!
Mrs. Gladd's Fifth Grade Class
Robert Seaman School
Jericho Public Schools